Special Announcement: HSEduFreeMarket Has A New Team of Contributors!


I started the Homeschool Educational Free Market blog just a few months ago, an extension of the HSEduFreeMarket Facebook group, to put together lists of free learning resources to create unit and/or themed studies.

I am excited to announce that there are now FOUR new wonderful contributors here at HSEduFreeMarket, who will be sharing a wide variety of free resources for your homeschooling needs each week.  I have asked each of them to write a little introduction.

First up....

Deana from The Frugal Homeschooling Mom!

photo credit: Michelle Sink Photography
Hey! I'm Deana, The Frugal Homeschooling Mom, and founder of the charitable organization Homeschool Curriculum Free for Shipping, which donates used curriculum to homeschool families in need. I began homeschooling in 2008 when I left work as a Master-level public school teacher and then a preschool teacher, to stay at home with my first child. Laynie was two years old at the time, and I enjoyed doing at-home preschool with her.

Originally I was against homeschooling after preschool, due to my assumptions that homeschooled children weren't socialized well enough and couldn't possibly receive a quality education from untrained parents (without a teaching certificate) at home. When I was introduced to some really nice homeschool families, and saw how smart, sweet, and well-socialized their children were, I began to consider it for my own child(ren). Having worked in some of the “best” schools and preschools in my area, I already knew that I didn't want my children exposed to some of the things I witnessed, even in the best of settings, that were quietly covered up, ignored, or hidden (violence/bullying from other children, and verbal abuse and even physical abuse/neglect by teachers). We also wanted to raise our children with a Biblical worldview, which is often dismissed, ridiculed or negated in the public school setting. My husband agreed, and we made the decision to homeschool indefinitely, or until God shows us other plans for our family. We have since been blessed with two more children, Lillian and Liam. Currently, Laynie is entering 3rd grade, Lily is almost 3 and we're starting a 2K program at home this coming year, and Liam is 8 months old.

When Jenny asked me to contribute to Homeschool Educational Free Market, I was psyched. This site is such a wonderful resource for homeschooling families on a budget (like mine)! I already do a lot of research at home for free supplemental resources for ourClassical Conversations topics of study, and I plan to contribute resources I find for those subjects, which range from US states and capitals to Rocks and Minerals, to Ancient Rome, and more! We've also partnered together with my charitable organization,Homeschool Curriculum Free for Shipping, which donates used curriculum to struggling homeschool families. It is a perfect fit! I'm so glad to be here, and thank you for having me!

Next is.....

Next....

Selena from Look, We're Learning!


Hi! I'm Selena. I am a bookworm, a lover of dance, and a writer at heart. I am also a homeschooling graduate, so I firmly believe that homeschooling is the best way for kids to learn. My husband, Jay and I, are raising our four children to be Christlike, respectful, and well-educated individuals, even though some are living with ADHD and SPD. Homeschooling kids with ADHD is a challenge, but we are committed to providing the very best education for each of our children's "special" abilities. I am the creator of Look! We're Learning, a blog about our family's learning adventures in homeschooling, foreign language, and special needs. When I am not busy with the kids (which is rare), I am usually fast asleep with my Kindle by my side.






Then....

Misty from Nordyke Academy Homeschool!

We have been homeschooling for 7 years now. My hubby and I have 4 children, but I homeschool 3. My oldest daughter Ashley is 24 she is my teacher helper, My son Jerry Jr. is 16 and in 10th grade, My daughter Tessa is 14 and in 8th grade, and our youngest girl Misty is in 6th grade. They all were in public schooling at one time, Ashley quit school and got her GED, I pulled the others out because I did not like how they were treated, bullied, and among other things they were learning. Misty was in pre-school, Tessa was in 1st grade, and Jerry Jr. was in 3rd.

My children and I are so glad we made that wonderful choice and we have not looked back. I enjoy seeing them learn and accomplish the things they want to. I give them the choice every year to try public schooling again, but I always get a big NO!!

I have helped many families transition from public school to homeschooling. I love seeing the smiles of relief on their faces when they see how wonderful it is.

I wanted to become an HSEFM contributor because I love spreading the word on how awesome and wonderful homeschooling is, I love being a homeschool mentor and when I see freebies or wonderful deals I love to let other homeschooling families know. Homeschooling can be as cheap as you want or it can be expensive, it is all how you make it. I prefer doing it frugally.

And last, but not least....

Bonnie from Write Bonnie Rose!

I came into writing for the homeschool community sideways. You see, I wasn’t homeschooled and I’m single with no children (unless you count the two “nephews” I borrow from a dear friend every time I get the chance!). But I love God, kids, and writing, and I have found that life rarely unfolds the way we think it will. I began writing professionally eleven years ago and began writing for children a few years after that. In 2011, I felt a growing burden to find a way to write for the homeschool community. I always imagined that one day I would homeschool children of my own. I found myself attending a homeschool convention and falling in love with all the amazing resources that were available. One of the resources I picked up was a print issue of The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine. I joined their mailing list to learn more about homeschooling.

A few months later, TOS put out a call for writers to join a team creating an online curriculum site called SchoolhouseTeachers.com. I still remember some of the first emails I exchanged with the Dailies editor, Julie Coney. She wanted me to brainstorm and send her any idea I thought of. It just had to be material we could write that would educate and entertain the children while sharing with them a Christian worldview. I could not have been more excited! I brainstormed for days and sent her so many emails I thought for sure she’d block my email address as spam.

Well, she didn’t, and not only did we become good friends, I eventually went from doing all volunteer work for the site to doing part time paid work. Today I work for the site and for TOS full time and still do a little volunteering on the side.

I share all that for two reasons. One is to encourage you never to underestimate God! If He calls you to do something, He’ll make a way, even if it doesn’t seem to make sense at the time. Second is to explain why I am here. Creating homeschool resources and sharing them with others through SchoolhouseTeachers.com has been so rewarding that I decided to create and share printables and materials, much of it free, on my blog. When Jenny invited me to be a part of rounding up free homeschool resources that would bless families, I wanted to be a part of it, and I appreciate the opportunity to help support families in this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment